This is a really simple but delicious recipe to try – And they make the perfect wedding party favours!
just remember Never leave the pot, and make sure there are no children nearby. The mixture gets incredibly hot, so safety is very important.
- 1 tin of Carnation Condensed Milk
- 155ml Milk
- 460g Demerara sugar
- 120g Soft Butter
- 2tsp Vanilla Essence
- Jam thermometer
- Baking Tray
- Greaseproof Paper
- Place all of the ingredients into a large non-stick saucepan and melt over low heat, stirring until the sugar dissolves.
- Bring to a steady boil, stirring continuously and scraping the base of the pan to prevent it from burning. You need to reach a temperature of at least 115°C – be very careful as this mixture is incredibly hot.
- Remove the fudge from the heat add the vanilla and stir and leave to cool for 5 minutes.
- Beat the mixture until it just loses its shine and becomes very thick (this should take about 10 minutes). If you have a mixer, that would be best as it can get pretty hard to beat. the mixture should resemble peanut butter consistency.
- Press into a tin onto your greaseproof paper with the back of a spoon and leave to set for around 2 hours before cutting into cubes.
The longer you beat once it starts to thicken then the more crumbly the final fudge will be. If you like it smooth – beat it only until comes away from the sides of the pan and sticks well to the spoon.
If the mixture doesn’t thicken then you can return to the pan add a little cream or milk and reheat and boil further to reach the correct temperature – if the fight temperature isn’t reached, the fudge won’t set.