12th June 2020
Lockdown is nearly over and the sun will soon be shining, so there will be no better time to have a garden party! and what goes perfectly with at a garden party? Strawberries and Cream of course, but we are serving them with a twist… Simple no-churn ice cream.
I’ve never made homemade ice cream before, even though I have had an ice cream maker for years! But it’s one of those faffy ones you need to freeze overnight, and to be honest, I never have the room in my freezer, so this no-churn is perfect for me, and it tasted delicious… I think next time I will try a blueberry version.
- 500ml whipping or double cream
- 1 can of sweetened condensed milk
- 1 kg of Strawberries
- 1 tbsp of sugar
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract optional
- Roast the strawberries in the oven with a tablespoon of sugar sprinkled over them.
- Cook the strawberries until soft, around 45 mins on gas mark 4.
- Once cooked, blend the strawberries into a puree.
- Whip the cream until almost stiff peaks, don’t over whip or you will have trouble miking into the condensed milk.
- Pop the strawberries and the vanilla essence into a mixing bowl with the condensed milk and whisk together until aerated, around 2 mins.
- Then add 3/4 of the whipped cream mixture to the strawberries and combine well in a folding motion, not too quickly.
- Add the remaining whipped cream and combine just enough so you have a marble effect for the Strawberries and Cream effect.
- Pour into an ice cream container, preferably glass, and freeze for at least 4 hours or overnight.
For the best consistency take out of the freezer around 10 minutes before serving.
And enjoy with a glass of champers 😉